First home, then car, but the third biggest investment in North Carolina can often be your carpet. Carpeting not only adds warmth and beauty to your home but is the one “visual” that can add an incredible amount of first impression to both family and visitors. Like any other investment, you need to protect it so that you can get the most value from it. Carpeting covers about half the floor surface in an average home in the Triangle NC, and can cost thousands of dollars to replace. Taking care of it is so important.
- Vacuuming: This is the primary and most important thing you need to do. Regularly vacuuming will remove dry soil. If carpets aren’t vacuumed often enough, this dry soil can become imbedded into the backing of your carpets, causing premature wear. The frequency of the vacuuming depends on the amount of traffic your carpets endure.
- Spot Cleaning: Quickly cleaning any fresh spots and spills, will determine how successful you are in removing those spots. Be careful when using over the counter cleaners, since many of them contain soaps that will often leave a sticky residue. One of the best, yet least expensive spot remover mix consists of one part water and one part white vinegar. Always blot the spot without rubbing. Use a dry, clean white cotton towel. Apply the solution and blot a second time. You can also blend a mixture of ¼ teaspoon laundry detergent to 32 ounces of water.
- Use of Walk-off mats: Using mats at every entrance will help trap a lot of the outside dirt. This strategy will help keep your carpets cleaner for longer periods.
- Remove your shoes: Shoes and boots left at the doors will protect the carpeting from any heavy duty dirt tracks. Place a boot tray by your entrance doors. Rubber soul shoes can really mark up a carpet.
- Professional Carpet Cleaning: Having your carpet cleaned on a regular basis by On the Spot Carpet Care will help protect your carpet investment. A deep cleaning, by our professional team, will help remove some of the imbedded soils that vacuuming alone can’t remove. Not only will your carpets look better and last longer, but you will also keep your carpet warranty intact. Most carpet warranties require that you clean your carpets every 12-18 months. Most people forget the small print of the warranty.
As your Triangle NC’s carpet cleaning experts, On the Spot Carpet Care hopes these tips help you to get the most out of your carpet investment. We work for you. Call us about our $ 199 whole house carpet special!
This article was professionally edited by Jim Vogel of I.M.U. Social Media